Skrutt Mag Sweden:
Tank Shot is a really good german punk band. Guitarist Holm answered all the questions. Dec-2018
Please tell me a little bit history of the group?
– I got a message on my cell phone from Björn aboout two years ago. He asked, if I would like to form a new band with him and his wife Kirsten. I have known Björn and Kirsten for a long time and in the past we often talked about the idea to make music together. So I said let`s give it a try.
Please tell me a little about every member in the group right now, age, family, work, interests and something bad about everyone? Earlier bands? Other bands on the side?
– I started to make music when I was about 13. With 14 I formed with schoolmates my first punk band called “inoffiziell”. Then in 1987 I formed another punk band called “Cripples”. Through the years there were several other bands like “Sanitys Dawn”, “Melones”, “Guts n Glory”, “Testosteron”,… . I have two children, I am 51 years old and I produce machine parts at my tool shop. My interests are music, from rock to punk. And instruments.
I can hear much different influences but mostly punk and a little UK82 etc? Favorites from the past?
– I think, our songs are very unique. Every song has got something different compared to other songs. For sure there are influences from the 80s. That time was our youth. My favorites of the past are “Ramones”, “Cockney Rejects”, “Sham 69”, “Slaughter And The Dogs”, “G.B.H”, “Chron Gen”, “Exploited” and all the other bands from the late 70s to the early 80s.
Tank Shot are you satisfied with the name? How did it came up? You weren’t afraid that some other band would be named like this? Which is the best bandname you know?
– Björn came up with the name. As I first heard it, I thought it would fit perfect for a HC Band, but I still like the name for us.
What´s the best thing with playing live?
– We´re rehearsing a lot, we take the music seriously, so it`s a real good feeling to put it all out in front of the audience. It`s fun, but it`s serious fun. It has to be professional. The crowd pays to see us, so they should get some value for their hard earned money. For me it`s a very good feeling to see the satisfied faces in the audience.
And where is best to play? And the worst place?
– The places we`ve played were all ok in my opinion.
How is to play this sort of music in Germany right now? Which types of bands do you have concerts together with?
– There is still a good scene in Germany, many old faces but a lot of new ones too. We play mostly with other punk bands. We supported for example “Adolescents” from the US and “Cock Sparrer” from Britain.
How would you describe your music in three words?
– catchy, from-the-heart, unique
What does punk mean to you, is it only a word or is it a lifestyle?
– Definitely a lifestyle.
How do you see on downloading, mp3 and that stuff?
– not my cup of tea…
How is it to live in Germany right now? Politically? Fascists?
– For me it is a good living in Germany. There political idiots in every country. I don`t care too much about politics.
Is there any good bands from Germany now? Is the punkscene/hardcorescene big? How is it in your hometown?
– The scene is still alive and there are still good bands in Germany.
What do you know about Sweden? What have you heard about our government and election?
– I don`t know too much about Sweden.
Have you heard any good bands from Sweden?
– I know some old bands like “Driller Killer”, “Nasum”, “Wolfbrigade”, “Mob 47”, “Disfear”.
Your lyrics, who does them and what influences you? Is it easier to do lyrics now or was its easier to do it when you was younger? Never in german?
– Björn writes all the lyrics. And he does it very well.
Do you think that music(lyrics and so on) can change anyones life, I mean people who listens to music?
– When you`re young, the music and lyrics could be very important for your future life. I still know many, many lyrics from the early 80s. I can say, they have really influenced my life, my opinions.
Your cover on your CD looks really nice, is it important to have a record cover which shows people which type of music you play? Your favorite recordcover? Who does your covers? And do you have any good recordstores in your hometown?
– The cover artwork was done by of our bass player Baumi´s girlfriend. I like the cover. On the back of the cover you can see a photo of us, I think it`s important to have some pictures of the people who are responsible for the music on the record. I like the cover artwork from “Oi!-the album”. We have some good record stores like “Rockers”, “Monster Records” and “25 Music”.
Is it important to get out physical records of your stuff? Why or why not? Vinyl, CD, cassette, what do you prefer if you could choose whatever ?
– I think vinyl, MCs and CDs are still important.
Please tell me a funny thing which have happened during your career and under some gig?
– nothing special, I think….
How does your audience look like? Which people do you miss on your concerts? Which is the biggest band you ever have played together with?
– In the audience you got many different looks. There are punks, skins, HC kids and some “normal” people too. The biggest band so far was “Cock Sparrer”.
Please rank your five favoriterecords, five favoriteconcerts and five most important things in life?
– LPs: Ramones-Road to Ruin, Cockney Rejects-Greatest Hits Vol. II, Red Alert-We,ve got the Power, Carcass-Symphonies of Sickness, Peter and the test tube babies-Pissed and proud. Concerts: Ramones 1985 Hamburg, UK Subs 1982 Hannover, Dead Kennedys 1982 Hannover, Die Alliierten 1982 Hannover, Carcass 1992 Hamburg
First, last and most expensive record ever bought?
– First record: The Sweet-Hellraiser 7”, last and most expensive record: Ramones-Road to ruin 40th anniversary
Is it boring with interviews? Is it much interviews?
– It`s always a small journey through my life. There are not many interviews.
Do you care about reviews? Which is the most peculiar you ever had, with this band or any other band you have been to?
– I care about reviews. It`s interesting to read how people you don`t know personally think of you and your music.
Which bands to people compare you to, is it boring that people compare to other bands or is it understandable?
– There are always many different influences in everyone`s music. It`s understandable that people mention bands they compare us to.
If you could choose five bands from the past and the history and nowadays and both dead and living bands to have a concert together with your band. Which five have you been chosen?
– Ramones, Slaughter and the Dogs, Infa Riot, Sham 69, Red Alert
Is music a good way to get out frustration and become a nicer person outside the music??
– I think it is. Music is a very creative thing and could expand your horizon.
Which is the question you want to have but you never get. Please ask it and answer it?
– No idea.
Futureplans for the band?
– More good concerts, writing and rehearsing new songs for the next album.
– Getting older and older…
– I`m not wise….
Something to add?
– Thanks for the interview.